Invited by CADAL, the director of Cuba Decide visited Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Peru to present the book of his father, Oswaldo Payá (1952-2012). The night will not be eternal: dangers and hopes for Cuba (Hipermedia, 2018). As well as to participate in the Conference on the International Day of Democracy, meet with officials and political organizations and give interviews in various media.
The tour took place from September 10 to 21 and included book presentations in Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile, Montevideo and Lima.
On Tuesday, September 11, in Buenos Aires, he presented the book by Oswaldo Payá at the headquarters of CADAL, with comments by Fernando Ruiz and Gabriel Salvia. During his stay in the Argentine capital, Payá was received by Federico Pinedo, provisional president of the National Senate.
In Santiago, Chile, the book was presented on Wednesday September 12 in the old building of the Congress of the Republic with comments from Gutenberg Martínez, director of the University of Miguel Cervantes, the representative Jaime Bellolio and Senator Felipe Kast. On Friday the 14th, Payá was received at La Moneda by Cecilia Pérez, General Secretary of the Government.
On the International Day of Democracy, celebrated on September 15 in Buenos Aires, he participated in a panel moderated by Irene Caballero, Interim Representative of Uruguay. The panel, «The Universal Declaration of Democracy and International Solidarity for the Defense of Human Rights,» also included Norma Morandini, journalist and head of the Human Rights Center of the National Senate of Argentina; Rodrigo Diamanti, head of the Venezuelan NGO Sin Mordaza; and Gabriel Salvia, General Director of CADAL.
On Tuesday 18, the book was presented in Montevideo, with comments by Senator Javier García; Adriana Peña, mayor of the department of Lavalleja; and Felipe Algorta, councilor of Durazno. On the same day, the meeting with Senator Pablo Mieres, the representative Ope Pasquet and the representative Gloria Rodríguez. On Monday 17, Payá was received at the Legislative Palace by Jorge Gandini, President of the House of Representatives of Uruguay, as well as by Senator Luis Lacalle Pou.
Payá’s last stop was in Lima, where the book appeared at the Sol de Oro hotel, with comments from academic Francisco Belaunde, former Justice Minister Marisol Pérez Tello, and the representative of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Peru, Sebastián Grunberger .
During his tour of the Southern Cone, Payá was interviewed by several newspapers, television channels and radio stations.
• On September 11 in Buenos Aires, he presented the book by Oswaldo Payá at the CADAL headquarters: https://www.cadal.org/eventos/?id=11350
• On September 12 Santiago, Chile, presented the book by Oswaldo Payá.
• September 15 in Buenos Aires – «The Universal Declaration of Democracy and International Solidarity for the Defense of Human Rights»
• On September 17, Payá was received at the Legislative Palace by Jorge Gandini, President of the House of Representatives of Uruguay, as well as by Senator Luis Lacalle Pou.
• On September 18, the book was presented in Montevideo: https://www.cadal.org/eventos/?id=11354
• On September 19, in Lima, he presented the book at the Sol de Oro hotel: